Hotel Alejandro - Hospitality capped with a historic past












Hotel Alejandro

Hotel Alejandro - Old House

Hotel Alejandro - Lobby Entry

Hotel Alejandro - Reception








HISTORY
HOTEL ALEJANDRO - PAST | PRESENT | VIDEO
TACLOBAN
- PAST | PRESENT | VIDEO

Hotel Alejandro
Hotel Alejandro has metamorphosed since it first stood in 1932.  With it's meaningful history backed up by the owner's good name, untarnished over the years, Hotel Alejandro definitely spells hospitality capped with the establishment's historic past.
Past
     
Located along P. Paterno Street, Tacloban City, Hotel Alejandro is one hotel that boasts of a storied past dating many decades of pre and post war days.
     It's owners, Dr. and Mrs. Alejandro Montejo started the construction of their now ancestral edifice in 1931 towards its completion in 1932.
     Even before the early days of WWII, the Montejo residence was already a popular venue for luncheons and dinner parties attended by USAFFE military officers.  When the war broke out in 1942 during the Japanese invasion, the house served as quarters to displaced families.  Shortage of housing increased during the early days of Leyte's liberation in 1944, and the Montejos were among those who opened their doors to the evacuees mostly from Cebu and Negros.  The Montejo household eventually became a one family per room affair.  Little did they know that in context, the path was opened towards a hotel business in the future.  It was quite a feat that despite the shortage of water and lack of electricity, the tenants survived unscathed.
     Happy years characterized the Montejo household during the growing up years of their  8 children.  Friends, relatives, and associates share a multitude of joyous memories with the doctor and his family.
     As a token of their heartfelt appreciation and gratitude to the late Dr. Alejandro Montejo, the heirs have named the hotel in his honor.

Hotel Alejandro - Old HouseHotel Alejandro - Old HouseHotel Alejandro - Old HouseHotel Alejandro - Old House
Present 
    Today, Hotel Alejandro stands as a 5-story structure having a total of 4 executives suites, 25 standard and 36 deluxe rooms.  The 5th level is the roof deck where parties are mostly held as it can accommodate up to 200pax.
     The Commonwealth Hall, that can seat 250pax, is frequently chosen as the venue for wedding receptions, conferences, and the like.  For small parties, gathering or seminars for 50 - 100 persons, guests may opt for the Liberation Room located at the 2nd floor of the hotel.
     Conveniently located at the ground level is Café Teresa, the popular
café that offers a mixture of Filipino, Spanish and American dishes.  At certain occasions torch singers perform to provide music and entertainment.  Café Teresa also houses a function room that could sit 50 guests.  This is mostly being reserved for special functions and occasions.
     Guests get to relax in the lap pool located at the hotel's roofdeck or opt for a drink and unwind at the poolside bar and cafe while enjoying a panoramic view of the city.
     One of the hotel's attractions both for foreign and local guests are some 450 photos in an exhibit that comes as a vivid portrayal of the war in Leyte in October, 1944.  The photographic essay covers Gen. Douglas MacArthur's Leyte landing in fulfillment of his pledge, "I Shall Return".

Hotel AlejandroHotel Alejandro

Video

Tacloban
Tacloban, the capital city of Leyte, is a promising location for both living and tourism.
Past
    Tacloban City, was formerly known as Kankabatok, named after the first settler Kabatok who occupied the area around the present Sto. Niño Church. Other inhabitants who came later were Gumoda, Haranging and Huraw who settled then in nearby areas. The Kanhuraw Hill where the City Hall is presently situated was formerly Huraw`s domain. The whole settlement area was called Kankabatok, meaning Kabatok`s property.     
    Kankabatok was formerly under the political administration of Palo but under the parochial jurisdiction of Basey, Samar. The Augustinian Mission discovered Kankabatok in 1770 and the Franciscans came later in 1813. During this period, Kankabatok was changed to `Tarakluban` which means the place where the inhabitants used the `Taklub`, a bamboo contraption, to catch crabs, shrimps and fish. Later, the name of the place evolved from `Tarakluban` to its present name, Tacloban.

    Although no official records show, it is commonly believed that Tacloban was officially proclaimed a municipality in 1770, after the provinces in Leyte and Samar were separated in 1768. Since then Tacloban became a trading point between the two provinces because of its strategic location. On February 26, 1830, Tacloban became the capital of Leyte because of the ideal location of its port which is well sheltered and had adequate facilities.
    Colonel Murray arrived in Tacloban in 1901 and became the first Military Governor of Leyte. He opened the Tacloban port to world commerce, especially for copra and abaca, which were exported in large quantities. Before World War II, Tacloban was the center of commerce, education, social and cultural activities in Leyte. The educational institutions were: Leyte Normal School now the Leyte Normal University, Leyte High School, now the Leyte National High School, Leyte Trade School now Leyte Institute of Technology, Holy Infant Academy now, Holy Infant College and the Tacloban Catholic Institute.
    On May 25, 1942, Japanese Forces landed in Tacloban and started a three-year Japanese occupation of Leyte. The Japanese forces fortified Tacloban, improved its airfield and established San Pedro Bay as a port of call and entry for the Japanese Imperial Naval Forces. During the Japanese occupation, many guerilla forces were organized and the most famous was the group of Colonel Ruperto Kangleon.
    On October 20, 1944, General Douglas MacArthur and his troops landed on the Tacloban-Palo beaches (White Beach and Red Beach) and in the neighboring town of Dulag (Blue Beach) and liberated Leyte from the Japanese Forces. October 23,1944, General MacArthur, accompanied by President Sergio Osmeña made Tacloban the temporary seat and temporary capital of the Commonwealth Government until final liberation of the country. Famous landmarks during the liberation were the Joseph Price Mansion where General MacArthur set up his headquarters and the Redoña Residence. Then the provincial government of Leyte and the municipal government of Tacloban were re-established.Atty. Paulo Jaro was the Liberation Mayor of Tacloban and Mr. Epifanio Aguirre was the first mayor upon the inauguration of the Philippine Republic.
    On June 20, 1952, Tacloban was proclaimed a chartered city by virtue of Republic Act No. 760 which was effected on June 12, 1953. The charter was signed by President Elpidio Quirino and witnessed by the incumbent Mayor, Ildefonso Cinco, who apparently became the first City Mayor.
    On June 30, 1954, on the Feast Day of Sr. Sto. Nino, the Patron Saint of Tacloban, Speaker of the House of Representatives Jose B. Laurel did the honor of laying the cornerstone for the Tacloban City Hall at Kanhuraw Hill. As a new city, Tacloban attracted businessmen looking for sound investment prospects while people from neighboring towns slowly began to look for opportunities and laid roots in the city.
    Succeeding Hon. Ildefonso Cinco when he became Governor of Leyte was Artemio E. Mate who became the second City Mayor of Tacloban City. The decade of the 60`s ushered in developments particularly so that Imelda Romualdez Marcos, the new First Lady of the Philippines, a Leyteño loved Tacloban City.
    During the late 60`s and the early 70`s Tacloban City was gradually changing from a less obvious to a remarkable city. Government institutions and cultural awareness were created and established such as the National Maritime Polytechnic, UP Tacloban, Sto. Niño Shrine and the People`s Center and Library in Tacloban City and others which were established in the Province of Leyte. All these, were in addition to the construction of the San Juanico Bridge, the longest span of bridges in the Philippines that links Leyte and Samar, the construction of the Maharlika Highway, the improvement of the DZR Airport and the Tacloban Sea Port and many other infrastructure projects that promoted Tacloban City to the business sector and to the national and foreign investors.
    On September 24, 1972, Tacloban became a part of the of the Integrated Reorganization Plan by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 1 of the New Society under Proclamation 1081 declaring Martial Law in the Philippines. During the time, Mayor Filomeno Arteche was the incumbent mayor.
    On May 12, 1976, President Marcos appointed Obdulia R. Cinco as Mayor of Tacloban City and was returned to the seat when she won in the local elections on January 30, 1980 becoming the first elected lady mayor of Tacloban City.
    In 1986, after Corazon Aquino was placed into the presidency by the EDSA Revolution, Mayor Cinco was replaced by Emmanuel K. Veloso who stayed until the elections of 1988. This time, another Mate was elected as Mayor. The younger brother of former mayor Artemio E. Mate, Uldarico E. Mate won in the elections and he became the first elected mayor after the EDSA Revolution. Mayor Mate was given a mandate of three terms as mayor of Tacloban City. During his term, Tacloban was now evolving in terms of economic, social and infrastructure development as Tacloban was categorized as a First Class City. The business sector`s confidence in the economic standing of the city boosted its prospects and local and international entrepreneurs became interested to put up business in the city.
    In the mid portion of the 90`s, Tacloban City worked out for the acquisition of 237 hectares for its Economic Zone, which was finally realized and approved by the Philippine Economic Zone Authority, by virtue of Presidential Proclamation No. 1210 on April 23, 1998. The Eastern Visayas Agri-Industrial Growth Center (EVRGC) was then officially registered as an Eco-Zone with the City Government of Tacloban as the developer/operator.
    On June 12, 2003, Tacloban City celebrated its Golden Anniversary with fitting rites and activities with Mayor Alfredo T. Romualdez at its helm. Celebrating the 50th anniversary of Tacloban`s cityhood showed the long trail of significant activities leading to the present status of Tacloban by which economic, infrastructural and social gains were achieved.
    From its modest beginning, Tacloban City has grown to be the premier city of Eastern Visayas, gateway of the region and the center of trade and industry, culture, education, communication and tourism, keeping abreast with the modern technology that would link Tacloban City to all destinations in the world.         
Present
     Tacloban, currently undergoing developments encouraged by the government and mayor, is set to become a major player in the Visayan region of the Philippines.  With the new aerodrome completed, and the redevelopment of the Tacloban airport (potentially turning it into an international airport), the future for Tacloban is looking bright.  Tacloban City has also been granted HUC status by the Philippine government which adds to the expansion that the city is seeing
     Friendly people, warm inviting attitudes and celebrations and fiestas through out the city and the near by region all leads to great examples of why so many tourists have found this diamond in the rough.

Video

Tacloban City: A Colorful Past, A Bright Future
Please note: This is a large file and will take time to play.
EXTERNAL LINKS
(will open in new window)

GOVERNMENT
Leyte Government
Tacloban Government
Philippines Government

TOURISM
Philippine Tourism Auth.
Dept. Of Tourism Philippines

TRAVEL - BY AIR
Cebu Pacific
Philippine Airlines
Air Philippines Corp.
South East Asian AIrlines

TRAVEL - BY SEA
SuperCat
SuperFerry
Negros Navigation
Cebu Ferries Corp
Sulpicio Line Inc.



Copyright | Privacy | Site Information | Linking To Us | Sitemap | FeedbackSite Design - Tacloban.Biz